The tomato jam is what makes these sliders rock. Don't skimp on it when slathering it on the buns.
Makes: 12 sliders
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for the jam:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 t dried basil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 T fresh parsley, chopped
Ingredients for the sliders:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into 12 slices
- 12 small crusty dinner rolls
- Tomato jam (from above)
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sautee for 3 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients except the fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and continue simmering for 20-30 minutes or until the liquid is reduced and the tomatoes are soft.
4. Remove from heat and add the parsley. Reserve.
5. Fry bacon in a skillet. Drain.
6. Preheat grill over high heat.
7. Pound the chicken out to a 1/4" thickness. Cut into squares slightly larger than the buns. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Grill until nearly done, about 2 minutes per side. Top with mozzarella cheese and let melt slightly. Remove from heat.
9. To assemble, split rolls. Top bottom roll with chicken, then a small piece of the bacon. Add tomato jam and top bun.