This does taste like a cheeseburger. The homemade sourdough croutons and crumbled bacon definitely topped it off right.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar, cubed (I used Tillamook Sharp)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 T butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t dried parsley
- 5 slices of bacon
- Sourdough croutons, for topping, if desired
1. In a large pot melt the butter and add all of the chopped vegetables except the potatoes and simmer over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and brown.
2. Stir in the basil, parsley, potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are done, about 10-15 minutes.
3. In a separate pan cook 5 slices of bacon. Remove all but 2 T of the grease. Stir in the flour until well combined. Add the milk and cook until smooth.
4. Slowly add the milk mixture to the soup and stir well. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, or turn the heat off. Add the cheese cubes and let them melt. Finally, add the sour cream and stir.
5. Serve hot topped with crumbled bacon and sourdough croutons.