Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Spicy black-eyed pea soup

The change in the weather has made me turn to making comfort foods. Once I get used to the cooler temps I'll get back to grilling and smoking.

I made this soup the other day. It's really a favorite of ours. It has a nice kick to it. I was raised on black-eyed peas, so I don't need much of an excuse to eat them, either.


Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 24 hours (soaking the peas)
Cook time: 8-10 hours
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 16oz package of dried black-eyed peas
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped
  • 5 gloves garlic, chopped
  • 1-2 bay leaf
  • 1 lb smoked sausage or andouille sausage, cut into chunks
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 1/4 t cayenne pepper
  • 1 T cajun spices
  • 6 cups chicken broth (approx 1 large can)
  • Hot sauce (I recommend Dirty Dick's Oral Abuse)

1. Sort peas and soak in water overnight. Rinse and drain.

2. Place all ingredients in Dutch oven and cook on low 8-10 hours or until peas are tender.

3. Remove bay leaves and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment