Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Tomato Sauce

I discovered this recipe on a Chow podcast. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I plated the basil leaf. Perhaps it was the wine I'd had while cooking. That would also explain the Band-Aid looking Parmesan presentation. Regardless, it was very tasty and I'd make this again in a heartbeat. This makes a big batch, so I froze a few cups for lunches.


In about another week I'll be able to make this with fresh herbs from the Aerogarden.

Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes (does not include pasta cook time)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2-3 shallots, chopped
  • 3 T fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 T dried)
  • 3 T fresh marjoram, chopped (or 1 T dried)
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 large can diced tomatoes
  • 1 large can chopped tomatoes
  • S & P
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 t hot pepper flakes
  • 2 T fresh basil, chopped (plus more for garnish)
  • Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish
  • 1 T sugar

1. Heat oil over high heat. Add garlic, shallots, thyme and marjoram and saute for 3 minutes.

2. Add wine and reduce by 1/2, about 3 minutes.

3. Add 2 can tomatoes and pepper. Simmer, stirring often, for 7 minutes.

4. Add 1/2 -3/4 can of tomato paste, sugar, and hot pepper flakes. Simmer an additional 7 minutes, stirring often.

5. Salt to taste and add fresh chopped basil, cook another 1 minute.

6. Serve over pasta, garnish wish basil and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment