Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hickory Hills BBQ, Edinburgh, Indiana

We love this small, family-owned (we think) joint outside of Edinburgh, Indiana, not too far from Camp Atterbury, an Indiana National Guard training base. It takes us about an hour to get there from the northeast side of Indianapolis. We stop there nearly every time we are going to the huge outlet mall in Edinburgh or on our way to Brown County, Indiana.

It may not look like much from the outside, but that's really not what counts. They have some of the best, if not the best, pulled BBQ we've ever had. And they definitely have the best coleslaw there is, hands down. I don't know what it is they put in their slaw, but I could eat a pound of it and come back asking for more.

Hickory Hills has about 6 or 8 tables inside. They fill up fast. Every time we've been there the place has been full with soldiers from Camp Atterbury, or locals. This trip, both soldiers and Duke Energy workers were there and they were definitely loving the BBQ. Oh, I almost forgot the sauces on the table. Hot and mild, both excellent. And just the right thickness. I am not a fan of those watery, runny, thin sauces. I want some stick-to-my-ribs BBQ sauce, and Hickory Hills delivers.

$16 for two large pulled pork sandwiches, a big helping (but never enough) of slaw, a bag of chips and a huge glass of tea.

Hickory Hills BBQ
16021 N US Highway 31
Edinburgh, IN 46124-9151
(812) 526-5280

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have eaten here a few times myself. On Friday and Saturday's you better get there early if you want some of the best ribs you'll ever eat. Some of the sauces comes from a friend, they are the Mild to Wild brand. He makes those himself out of Franklin, In. I'm not a fan of the potato salad and have had better cole slaw, but I do like the baked beans. Enjoy the B B Q here folks.

Post a Comment