Monday, August 24, 2009

1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup

This was my dad's truck up until a few years ago. He bought it used in 1966, I believe. Same day my papa bought the same truck, except with a long bed.

It was originally a tan color. Then, around 1976 dad tore it down and re-painted it royal blue.

Later... I'm not sure when, it ended up primer redish brown.

When I went off to college my folks moved to Paraguay. My cousin (I was working on his family's dairy farm at the time) and I decided to overhaul the old girl. Put in a really nice new wood bed, and painted it.

It wasn't too bad from the front. You don't see many red and silver-flamed trucks.

The side and back were... well, not as good as the front.

I think those are Ford hubcaps. Hey, I was a broke college kid! The hand airbrushed tailgate lettering was a little rough. I do like the white Chevy emblems on the taillights, though.

Somewhere around 1987 the engine (a 230 straight 6) seized up on me. I found an old 235 in a salvage yard and had it rebuilt and dropped it in. It was still going strong when dad sold the truck around 2005 or so. She was pretty rotted out by then, but still a classy old truck.

I miss the old 3-on-the-tree shifter. Ever since dad bought her there was an issue with the transmission where you couldn't shift until the engine was really warm on a cold day. So, you had to remember to park in whatever gear (usually 2nd) you planned on using the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment