Monday, November 9, 2009

Chicken Stock

With winter around the corner I decided to make a big batch of chicken stock to have on hand. I try and make it completely from scratch using scraps I've accumulated in the freezer.

I used a 12 quart stockpot. I came up with 11 3-cup containers and two ice cube trays of stock. That should be enough for a while!

Makes: A lot
Cook time: 1 day
Printable Recipe

  • 3-4 pounds chicken pieces, washed
  • 2 large onions, skin on, cut into large pieces
  • 2 large carrots, unpeeled, washed
  • 2 large celery ribs, cut in half, washed
  • 12 whole peppercorns
  • 1 head garlic, skin on, broken into cloves
  • cold water

1. Place all ingredients in a large stockpot. I use a 12-quart.

2. Cover with water to near the top of the pot.

3. Bring to full boil then reduce heat to simmer and let simmer for 5-6 hours.

4. Scrape any fat off the top of the liquid if you desire.

5. Let pot cool for 2-3 hours then place in fridge overnight.

6. The following day, return pot to stove and heat until just warm. Scrape any fat that is present if desired.

7. Strain liquid and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment