Monday, November 23, 2009

Fennel Salad

I needed a nice, crisp salad to go with the lasagna I made yesterday. As luck would have it, I was listening to a podcast that had this recipe, which came out quite nicely.

I have to admit, I've never used fennel before. I was a little weary as Anita doesn't like licorice-flavored foods, but this salad did not have a strong licorice flavor at all.

Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium-sized fennel bulbs, trimmed with some fronds reserved
  • 3 celery ribs, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 T fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 t fresh black pepper
  • Parmesan cheese, freshly shaved

1. Cut fennel bulbs in quarters lengthwise. Use a mandolin to slice thinly. Also slice celery thinly.

2. Combine fennel and celery with oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper and toss.

3. Top with Parmesan cheese shavings and reserved fronds if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment