Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: about 1 hour
- 4 large potatoes
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 8 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, 4 slices reserved
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Clean potatoes, poke holes in them using a knife or fork, wrap in foil and place in oven. Cook until fork tender, 45 minutes or more, depending on the size of the potatoes.
3. Let potatoes cool slightly. Cut in half and scoop out potato. Keep the skins from two of the potatoes. Chop.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Make a roux by adding the flour and whisking until thoroughly blended. Cook until golden.
5. Slowly add milk, garlic and salt and pepper to taste, whisking. Heat thoroughly
6. Add the potato, green onion, and potato peels to the pan. Mix well.
7. Add source cream and 12 slices of the crumbled bacon.
8. Add the cheese slowly, heating until melted. Stir well.
9. Serve in bowls topped with the reserved crumbled bacon and some more cheese if you like.