Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Delta Cole Slaw

I'm not sure what makes these 'Delta', but this is my new go-to slaw. It really is good.


We've had this mounded up on smoked sausage sammies, by itself, and piled high on hamburgers. I'd even put it on ice cream, I like it that much!


The original recipe came from Emeril. I saw him make it on Emeril Live and thought 'I have to make that!'.

Makes: 3 quarts, 14 or so servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
  • 2 t salt
  • 1 t white pepper
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 1 t dry mustard powder
  • 2 t celery seeds
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
  • 2 T fresh parsley, chopped

1. In a large plastic bowl, combine the cabbage, bell pepper, onion, and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard powder, and celery seeds in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and remove from the heat and let cool until the cabbage mixture has been in the fridge for 1 hour.

3. Remove cabbage from fridge and pour sauce over it. Add the oil, green onions, and parsley and toss to combine.

4. Cover and return to refrigerator for 2-3 hours before serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you add the sauce when it was still hot? Or wait for it to cool?

Mike said...

I removed the sauce from the heat until the 1 hour set time was up. I'll update the recipe to more clearly reflect that. Thanks for your question.

Mike

Post a Comment