Monday, May 24, 2010

Ozark Sloppy Joes

I was thinking about Sloppy Joes the other day for some reason. I wanted a new twist on the old classic. I found this recipe over on Taste of Home and it turned out great.


The Worcestershire sauce really brings a lot of great flavor to this dish. Super easy to make.

I normally make a recipe exactly as written the first time I make it. Then I start to play with it the next time I make it. I think I might make this with a roasted poblano instead of a green pepper next time.

Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 t sugar or Splenda
  • 1 1/2 t all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 t Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 t chili powder (or more, to taste)
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/8 t cayenne powder (or more, to taste)
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
  • 6 hamburger buns

1. Cook the beef, peppers and onions in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain.

2. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except the buns) and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

3. Serve over toasted buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment