Thursday, August 2, 2012

Red Velvet Cake Jars

I rarely do desserts. I'm more an ice cream guy than a cake or pie guy. But, lately I've been using Mason jars for more and more things, and I thought... why not bake little cakes in them?


I used 1/2 pint jars for these. They are a little bigger than your standard sized cupcake, but I think they would work out great at a party. People can just grab a jar and a fork or spoon and eat up.

Makes: 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 store bought cake mix (plus whatever you need to make it)
  • Butter or non-stick spray
  • 8 1/2 pint wide-mouth Mason jars
  • 1 store bought can of icing

1. Prepare the cake mix per the package instructions.

2. Butter or spray the insides of the jars. It's hard to get into the corners, so expect them to stick a bit.

3. Pour the cake mix into the jars. Place on baking sheets and bake per mix instructions. Test their doneness with a toothpick. You might have to cook them a bit longer than you would normally.

4. Let cool completely and cover with icing.


No comments:

Post a Comment