Monday, June 22, 2009

Borracho Beans

I made these a few days ago. We have really enjoyed them. They seem to get even better every day.

I took two pounds of pinto beans and soaked them overnight.


They then went into a pot with 3 quarts of water and a bottle of beer (I used Michelob Ultra Amber), where they were brought to a boil and then simmered for 2 hours.


When the beans were soft I added salt, 3 garlic cloves, and 3 minced jalapeños. In a separate skillet I cooked up 1 pound of bacon (cut into 1" pieces) until crispy and then added a chopped medium onion and let that cook until soft. The bacon and onions then went into the pot with the beans.

Finally, I added about 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro and 3 chopped Roma tomatoes, and let it simmer another hour.

The beans came out very, very tasty. We will definitely make this again.

The recipe states that you might want to skin the tomatoes before putting them into the pot. I skipped that step. I also used half the cilantro the recipe calls for. We like cilantro, but not in large quantities. I also wasn't able to find serrano chiles that day, so I went with 3 jalapeños instead of the 2 serranos that the recipe calls for.

No comments:

Post a Comment