Sunday, June 7, 2009

Breaded Grilled "almost fried" Chicken Wings

I found this recipe on the Dizzy Pig website.

The final product tastes better than just about any deep fried chicken we've ever had.

We started out with a little over 5 pounds of wings. Trimmed the tips and any loose skin.


Next, we fixed up 3 bowls. The first bowl had 2 eggs and a cup of milk, mixed. The other two contained 1/2 cup AP flour, 1/2 cup corn meal, 2 tsp salt, and 2 Tbsp of either Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom rub or Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin rub.

We dipped the wings in the egg/milk mixture, and then rolled them in either flour/meal/rub mix.

This is the first time I've tried this recipe or using the WSM as a grill. It was a learning adventure. I took out the water pan and the top grate. I put in one chimney of charcoal, a few chunks of lump charcoal, and two small chunks of mesquite. The goal was to stabilize at 250° F, but I never made it that low. I tended to average around 300° F.


Next, loaded up the wings. About every 15 minutes I'd either rotate the grate 180° or flip the wings carefully.


After about 1 1/2 hours they were done. Maybe even a little over done. Next time I'll either try to get the temp closer to 250° or move to the top grate on the WSM.

The chicken was fantastic. I was thinking of putting some Frank's on them towards the end, but I was right in not doing so. They were outstanding without any sauce, or dipped in Ranch dressing, or dipped in Frank's and melted butter. Just outstanding.


We really like Dizzy Pig's rubs. Give them a try, you won't regret it. We use them on almost everything we grill or smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment