Saturday, December 18, 2010

Catfish Sandwich with Louisiana Tartar Sauce

I figured I'd better make up for my recent post of a McDonald's fish sandwich, so.....

This is my take on a recipe I found in a past edition of Louisiana Cookin', a great magazine.


I really like the kicked-up tartar sauce.

Makes: 2 sandwiches
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium-sized catfish filets
  • 1 T salt
  • 1 T cayenne (to taste)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1-2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
  • 1/2 lemon
  • Bread slices
  • Lettuce, red onion, etc for topping
  • Tartar sauce (see below)

1. Rinse fish and pat dry. Season with half of the salt and cayenne.

2. Combine cornmeal and flour and season with remaining salt and cayenne and place in a pie pan.

3. Pour milk into another pie pan.

4. Heat oil to 365 F. Dip catfish into milk, then the cornmeal mixture, covering well. Let stand for 1 minute then fry, about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown drain on paper towels.

5. Assemble sandwiches with fish and toppings.

Tartar Sauce:

Makes: 1 1/4 cups
Prep time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 t garlic, chopped
  • 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 T green onion, chopped
  • 1 T Creole mustard (I used Zatarain's)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 t hot sauce (I used Louisiana Hot Sauce)

1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment