I found this recipe in Marje Lambert's great cookbook, The Real Chili Cookbook. I did make a few minor changes for our tastes.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
- 1/2 pound Italian-style pork sausage
- 2 pounds chuck, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 1/2 oz cans beef broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 T chili powder
- 2 t ground cumin
- Hot sauce, to taste
1. Crumble the sausage into a Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat until cooked.
2. Add the beef and cook until browned. Spoon off excess fat.
3. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook another 4 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until beef is tender, about 3 1/2 hours. Add water (or more broth) if the chili gets too thin.
5. Season with salt if needed. Serve hot.