I served this on some Frito chili cheese dogs and also ate it right out of the bowl. Good eats!
The original recipe came from Southern Food on About.com. I made a few changes.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4 oz can green chile peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can beans (pinto, dark or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t dried leaf oregano
- 1/4 t black pepper
1. Brown ground beef with onions in a large skillet.
2. Add the garlic, jalapeño and bell peppers and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add the can of chile peppers, cans of tomatoes (undrained) and the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and continue simmering, uncovered) for 15 minutes.
4. Continue simmering, uncovered, another 20 minutes until the beans are done.
Frito Chili Cheese Dogs
Makes: 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 hot dog buns, split
- 2 hot dogs
- 1/2 cup chili (from above recipe)
- 1/4-1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 handfuls of Frito chips, crushed
1. Grill hot dogs. Lightly toast buns.
2. Place dogs in buns. Top with chili, cheese, and crumbled Fritos. Enjoy!