Monday, January 24, 2011

The Caves of Windsor

About 30 years ago, when I was a teen, I bought a Commodore VIC-20 computer. I was on it every minute of the day.

After a few months, I ended up writing a text adventure game called The Caves of Windsor. The goal was to get the gold from the caves to save the town.

Ok, it wasn't that great, but I was pretty proud of it at the time. It came on a cassette (!) and was sold for $14.95. My mother designed the package artwork, and a local computer store printed them and sold them. I think they sold 14 in all!

In college I started to write the sequel, Escape from Windsor Castle, but never finished it.

Recently, I bought a Commodore C64 computer off of eBay and decided to see what the game looked like. The C64 has a wider screen, so the text alignment is a little off, but it still played.

My, have games changed in 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment