Thursday, April 12, 2012

Steamed Cabbage

I am not a really big fan of cabbage. I like it in slaw, of course. And I've grilled it and liked it. But, it's not normally something I think of when I think "yummy".


Well, this recipe changed my mind about that. It's super easy and actually quite good. The original idea comes from cookbook Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood.

Makes: 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup carrots, sliced
  • 1 cup white onion, sliced
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into small wedges
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup corn oil

1. In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, layer the carrots, onions, celery and cabbage. Sprinkle with the sugar and add the water and oil.

2. Cover the pan and turn the heat to high. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked but still al dente. Remove from heat.

3. Stir the vegetables, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes.

4. Serve with fresh cracked black pepper or hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment